Senior Patent Counsel*
- Cambridge (Boston)
- Senior, very experienced
Based in Cambridge, MA, BioNTech US serves as BioNTech’s North American headquarters and is an important part of our global effort to pioneer the development of next-generation immuno-oncology therapies. BioNTech US is a fully integrated subsidiary with a strong foundation in Europe and a focus on the development of novel neoantigen-targeted T cell therapies, complementing BioNTech’s highly innovative scientific approach and diversified pipeline of transformative cancer medicines. As a key research and clinical development hub, BioNTech US will enable BioNTech’s growing presence in the US.
BioNTech US Inc. is seeking a business-savvy Senior Patent Counsel to help continue building and managing BioNTech US’s internal patent preparation and prosecution to support the development of next-generation immuno-oncology therapies. In addition, this individual will have responsibility for managing intellectual property matters important for BioNTech’s success, counseling senior business leaders and scientists, managing IP disputes, patent portfolio strategy and management, outside counsel budgets and performance, IP competitive intelligence, and due diligence in support of business development transactions. The successful candidate will have significant depth of experience in a wide range of intellectual property matters, high technical competency in the life sciences, and will serve as a trusted business advisor. This position is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts and will report directly to the Head of Intellectual Property.
Here, you’ll achieve greatness.
- Strategically manage worldwide intellectual property portfolio for both in-licensed and solely-owned IP to maximize value and utility of BioNTech assets, and work closely with R&D, Commercial and Business Development teams to identify key invention, strategic IP acquisition, and life cycle management opportunities.
- Manage outside counsel and corresponding budget for worldwide prosecution of patent and trademark applications, conduct patentability and freedom to operate assessments and other legal opinions and risk assessments.
- Contribute to and maintain positive relationships with strategic external relationship counterparts.
- Implement and lead IP strategy for R&D project teams and establish positive working relationships with the R&D project teams by acting as their advisor on a variety of IP related issues.
- Manage and support IP disputes, litigation, IPRs, PGRs and oppositions, including formulating appropriate IP litigation strategies.
- Provide high level, independent support for due diligence, strategic collaborations, licensing agreements and other business contracting needs.
- Develop a thorough understanding of BioNTech‘s current and planned business activities, programs, competitors, and markets and keep abreast of developing legal trends, laws and regulations.
- Educate and advise senior management & scientists on important IP issues and advance IP/patent awareness.
- Review publications, presentations, press releases and other materials for clearance.
What you have to offer.
- Exceptionally strong communicator, supportive interpersonal team player, talented at collaborating cross-functionally to communicate complex information to senior management and contribute positively to BioNTEch‘s culture.
- JD, registered patent attorney and at least 10 years of relevant IP experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, including significant in-house experience.
- Scientific degree in a relevant science required (Immunology highly preferred).
- Direct experience in biologic patents and managing products through development, marketing approval and post-approval preferred.
- Must be comfortable participating in all aspects of intellectual property law including drafting applications, prosecuting applications, and portfolio management to meet budget.
- Practical problem solver with ability to make data informed decisions, confidence in making difficult decisions independently, and demonstrated capabilities in establishing business practices to manage legal and other risks.
Benefits for you.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, AD&D, STD and LTD Insurance
- HSA & FSA Spending Accounts
- Health & Wellness, including free onsite gym access
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance
- Vacation and Unlimited Sick Time
- Holidays and Floating Holidays, including discretionary winter shutdown
- 401(K) Plan with Significant Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Development
- Commuting Assistance and free onsite parking
- Discounted Home and Auto Insurance
- Pet Insurance
Have we kindled your pioneering spirit?
For those who require assistance due to disability, or have questions prior to applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*BioNTech does not differentiate on the basis of gender, race, religion, color, origin, sexual orientation, disability, age and other protected status as required by applicable law. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
BioNTech - As unique as you